The Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation, Kęty
The 15th century painting of Our Lady of Consolation is kept in the old parish church in Kęty.
The church was built in the 14th century in Gothic style and rebuilt primarily in Baroque style after the fire of 1657. The Chapel of Our Lady of Consolation, known as Our Lady of Kęty), is adjacent to the south of the building. The painting was solemnly crowned on 18 September 1988, and the growing worship made the church receive the status of a Marian Shrine. A smaller church near the Parish Church is devoted to St John of Kęty (also known as St. John Kanty) which the locals refer to as “the Chapel.” It was built in the place that is rumoured to have been the birthplace of the patron saint of the Academy of Cracow. Built in the 17th century, it is the second church to stand here as it replaced a smaller 17th century chapel. One of its founders was the Dean of the Collegiate Church of St Anne’s in Cracow where the saint was buried. This is why the interior decoration of the Church in Kęty, and especially the main altar with the painting of St John of Kęty, contains references to the church in Krakow. Some of the saint’s relics are kept in the altar.