Back

The final concert of the 13th Music Enchanted by Wood Festival ends the holiday season

The final concert of the 13th Music Enchanted by Wood Festival ends the holiday season

Wnętrze kościoła w Binarowej
On the last Sunday (25th) of August, we invite you to visit Binarowa – a village in the Gorlice County famous for the wooden church of St. Michael the Archangel inscribed on the UNESCO list. The enchanting interior of the temple will resound with male voices of singers from the Cracow Singers vocal ensemble. The concert will begin at 5:00 p.m.

The ensemble presents a cappella programs with ancient and modern music and collaborates with instrumentalists and orchestras in diverse repertoires. The artistic manager of Cracow Singers is Karol Kusz.

The program of the concert includes the vocal music of the Polish, French and English Renaissance, with special emphasis on the works of the Polish composer Wacław of Szamotuły. Compositions of 16th-century masters correspond to one another both thematically (the sacrum sphere) and in respect of the best composing techniques.

The important thematic context of the program is connected with this year’s great Polish jubilee – the 450th anniversary of the Union of Lublin. The concert will be opened with the “Prayer for the Commonwealth and the King” – a composition by Wacław of Szamotuły. The song was sung in praise of Sigismund II Augustus and identified the king with the state and the nation; for this reason, it is called the first Polish hymn.

Dated at circa 1500, the parish church of St. Michael the Archangel in Binarowa is one of the most valuable historic sites of the Ciężkowice Foothills. The interior is a gallery of decorative art, with valuable paintings from the early 16th century on the ceilings, Baroque Biblical cycles on the walls, and a unique polychrome made in 1655 in the chapel. The most valuable parts of the church furnishings are Gothic sculptures dating back to the late 14th century: the Mother of God with the Child and reliefs of St. Margaret, St. Dorothy, St. Catherine and St. Barbara situated in side altars. In 2003, the church was inscribed on the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List.

 

 

Play Play